Research is constantly revealing new and amazing facts that enable us to treat cancer better. Recently, a study published in the New England Journal of Medicine showed that we may be “feeding” certain kinds of cancer with elevated insulin levels that come from eating too many carbohydrates – especially sugar.
Instead of feeding cancer what it likes, eat foods that help fight cancer. It’s easy to spot cancer fighting foods because they are brightly colored, which is where the phrase “Eat the rainbow” comes from.
Here is a list of the top five cancer fighting foods:
1. Leafy Greens – spinach, kale, collard greens, romaine, arugula salad, watercress, etc. are rich in antioxidants (including vitamin C and beta-carotene – a type of vitamin A) known to combat cancer.
2. Cruciferous Vegetables – broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, or Brussels sprouts can be roasted, added to soups or stir fry meals, or dipped into hummus or Greek yogurt for a healthy, fast snack.
3. Berries – blueberries, raspberries, cherries, strawberries, goji berries, camu camu, and blackberries are easy to find, which is good news considering they supply vitamin C, vitamin A and gallic acid, a powerful antifungal/antiviral agent that increases immunity.
4. Bright Orange-Colored Fruits and Veggies – citrus fruits, sweet potatoes, berries, pumpkin, squashes, and other plant foods. One of the most researched elements of these is beta-carotene, an essential nutrient for immune functioning: detoxification, liver health, and fighting cancers of the skin, eyes, and organs.
5. Cultured Dairy Products – raw or unpasteurized dairy products are a rich source of “good bacteria” probiotics, which are microorganisms that increase immunity. Over 80 percent of your immune system is housed in your gut, so it’s no surprise that probiotic foods and supplementation can stop tumor growth and help cells renew.
Cancer fighting foods can keep you healthy, but they are also delicious. Including one or more in your daily menu can go a long way towards making you feel better sooner.